Sunday, September 26, 2010

Sahara Desert: Hot, Dry, Unlivable!

I have been to one desert my entire life, which is why I decided to do some research on the Sahara Desert. To learn more information about this particular landmark, I went to this website. California Academy of Sciences did a wonderful job of giving some major facts and other interesting information about the Sarah Desert and the characteristics it possesses.


I had no idea that this desert was as large as it is. It is actually 3.5 million square miles and is almost as big as The United States of America. Imagine if America was all one humid, dry, sand area; I highly doubt that there would be a large population or people or animals. I have learned from the article that the people of Africa really have to work with the resources and land that they have in their continent. In Africa many of the different populations choose not to live in the Sahara Desert, but since it is such a large area many have to travel around or into it, and that is why they have oases (places in the desert where there are sources of water and areas for rest), but sometimes a traveler may encounter one only every few days of travel. Therefore, I would highly suggest taking a couple water bottles if you want to make this voyage.


The site also pointed out other key features of this remarkably grand desert. Living in Iowa, I thought 100 degrees was hot and unbearable; I strongly dislike the hot and humid days and choose air conditioning on those days in the summer. There are times that the Sahara Desert has reached temperatures around 136 degrees F; that seems like deadly temperatures without water! Not only is the Sarah hot, but it is also very dry. In fact, places in the desert only see up to three inches of water per year. In Iowa we can see that amount sometimes in a couple days!


Whenever I thought of the desert I always thought of old western movies where it was all flat ground with no cohabitants and many dust storms. In reference to the Sahara Desert, some of this is true, but the site I reviewed pointed out many distinct features that surprised me. Most of the Sarah is flat dusty planes, but this desert is also characterized by high rocky plateaus and sand dunes. I never would have thought that there were high elevations in the desert! This desert does see more wind than many areas of the world. This site actually pointed out the names they give wind in the Sahara. Haboob is wind that very wild and blows much sand. Khamsin is wind that lasts for sometimes 50 days between the months of March and May.

No comments:

Post a Comment